Local History Library
This busy library is open Tuesday to Friday and holds a huge collection of photographs, documents and newspapers relating to Salford's past. It is increasingly popular for family history research, delving into the history of houses, school projects and community heritage in Salford.
Looking for maps and photographs of old Salford? Researching your family tree? Salford Local History Library is the place to be!
The library's extensive collection includes Family History sources (from 1841), maps (from 1848), newspapers (from 1858), more than 50,000 photographs and a wide range of other useful material, including:
- Access to the People's Network and online family history resources
- Street directories for Manchester and Salford
- Census returns for Salford
- Maps and plans of areas of the city
- Over 50,000 historical photographs of the city
- Tuesday: 10.00am to 1.00pm, 2.00pm to 5.00pm (by appointment only)
- Wednesday: 10.00am to 8.00pm (drop-in)
- Thursday: 10.00am to 1.00pm, 2.00pm to 5.00pm (by appointment only)
- Friday: 10.00am to 1.00pm, 2.00pm to 5.00pm (by appointment only)
Check availability of appointments on the Google Calendar. Booking is essential, call 0161 778 0814 to make an appointment. Please note on Wednesdays booking is not required.
Fees and charges
Check our fees & charges for details about our microfilm, camera usage and photocopy charges.
If you have any enquiries, please contact us on 0161 778 0814 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.