Volunteers required for the 'Digital Salford: Opening the City's Photo Album' project
Digital Salford: Opening the City's Photo Album is a Heritage Lottery Funded project to digitise the visual heritage of the city using images from the Local History Library's collection of 70,000 photographs. Salford Heritage Services staff will work closely with a small team of enthusiastic volunteers to help residents identify what buildings, streets, places and businesses mean most to them. Up to 8,000 images will be made available online to search and discover through a newly created accessible website and displays and exhibitions will take place showcasing some of the images selected.
We are looking for a number of volunteers that will work closely with us on this project to:
- Assist residents from across the whole city in finding and choosing photographs from our collection
- To use the scanners, laptops and imaging software to create digital images from the photographs chosen
- To list and add the digital images into the Content Management System
- To assist with outreach events and exhibitions at libraries and other community venues across the city
It will be suitable for anyone with an interest in local history and/or anyone with basic IT skills. Volunteers will mostly be based in the Local History Library in Salford Museum where the equipment is located and the digitisation process will take place. Photograph displays, exhibitions and events will take place across the city throughout the project and volunteers will support these events and as as begin to capture residents ideas of which photographs to include. Almost all the photographs will be chosen by residents with the help of our volunteers.
Volunteers will be trained on using the scanning and digitisation equipment and would be expected to work a minimum of 3 hours per week if possible (usually a morning, afternoon or Wednesday evening session).
In return for volunteering we will be looking to provide volunteers with:
- Experience of working with other volunteers
- Experience of working within a local history library/museum
- Experience of working with photograph collections
- Experience of scanning and digitisation and enhanced IT skills
- Experience of exhibitions, displays and events
For further details and a registration form contact Duncan McCormick on 0161 778 0814 or email email@example.com.
You can also visit the Digital Salford website to view the photographs we have added so far.