Young people and fitness – it’s never too early to start a fitness journey
In our online-world of multiple devices and fast food overload, children and young adults can succumb to poor health habits from an early age.
It’s vital that parents and carers we guide our young people wisely and encourage children to participate in physical activities from the word go, from baby-gym sessions, tots football and dance classes to being a part of a football or rugby team, participating in school sports and much more. In Salford, swimming, athletics, rugby and football are incredibly popular sports with young people and we have some excellent and very successful teams and individuals.
Once the teenage years begin, kids’ appetite for sport and fitness can often change; they might suddenly drop out of the football team they’ve been a part of since aged 4, they might not think trampolining is cool anymore and they might turn their nose up at athletics club but we advise parents to persevere, keep encouraging (gently) your teens to take part or get them to try new sports and activities; anything to encourage the recommended 60 minutes exercise a day. Top tip: join in with them for family fitness.
Teenagers can be encouraged to take pride in their appearance, improve their health and establish healthy life-long habits by embracing the current (very positive) fitness trend that has swept the nation. With more gyms, inspiring fitness influencers plus awesome and unique fitness classes, sign your teenagers up as members of their local leisure centre.
Here in Salford we have eight leisure centres that can be accessed by junior members at various times of the day. Junior memberships for 11-17s are incredibly affordable and perfect for younger members who want to start on their health and fitness journey.
Benefits for 11-13s:
- Use any of the 8 Leisure Centres at Broughton, Clarendon, Eccles, Irlam & Cadishead, Ordsall, Salford Sports Village, Swinton & Pendlebury and Worsley
- Access to all 8 gyms independently Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm and anytime at the weekends
- Use of the gyms after 6pm if accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Unlimited use of 6 swimming pools at any time
- Access at any time to Aquafit, Circuit, Zumba and Spinning group exercise classes
- FREE badminton and squash courts at any time
- Same benefits as above but with unlimited access to the gyms and the addition of 300+ group exercise classes a week including the Les Mills class range
- Ability to book classes and courts 7 days in advance online or via our app
BOOKING NOW: New for Summer 2019, we've introduced a number of classes for teenagers. Teen Weights is a supervised session for 14-17s at Worsley Leisure Centre that has been designed to develop the core movements required in Olympic Weight Lifting. The class is free to members and £2.90 to non-members.